Re: Does Debian supports backticks in the Makefile?

Hi,

i wrote:
> > It appears that an argument -I is missing before /usr/include/postgresql.

> This is a very good theory.

Together with Greg Wooledge's observation that "make"'s macro definition
does not interpret `...` as output of shell commands we already have
two reasons why that part of the Makefile should not work.

The riddle grows why it appears to work on Gentoo.

  info make
shows a "MAKE(P) POSIX Programmer's Manual" which explains that what i
perceive as variables are indeed macros. No mentioning is to see of any
shell-like properties.

The web has workarounds with GNU make:
  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10024279/how-to-use-shell-commands-in-makefile
This is confirmed by
  https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Shell-Function.html

Alternatively i would try to hand over the "-I..." argument by an
environment variable.

But i guess the autotools way is to insert the desired arguments at
latest when ./configure creates Makefile from Makefile.in.
(Now we could need hearsay about how this is to be done ...)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas