Re: Does Debian supports backticks in the Makefile?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 11:50:59AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > Still, I insist it should be called <libpq-fe.h> unless you /know/ you
> > want to supply your own header file.
>
> Question is what Igor Korot is trying to compile.
> If it is postgres itself or one of its helpers, then libpq-fe.h would
> probably be one of the "header files of your own program".

If I understood him correctly it's "just" an app using the distro
provided libpq.

[...]

> I wrote:
> > > What does this command put out:
>
> > Yes, we're now all curious :-)
>
> We should rather look at the original post. ~:o)

> So the question is whether there is
>   /usr/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h
> as should be if libpq-dev is installed (says apt-file).
>
> If it is there, then the question is why it isn't found.
> Besides the suspicion of Igor Korot, that `pg_config --includedir` would
> not work, there is the possibility that libpostgres/Makefile.am was
> not porperly converted to libpostgres/Makefile.in and then to
> libpostgres/Makefile .

Yep. That's why I think it makes sense to bisect the problem at the
`pg_config' point: is it delivering the correct compile flags? If
yes, look into the rest of configury, if not, try to fix pg_config.

Many possibilities there: wrong pg_config in $PATH, left over from
some attempt to self-compile PostgreSQL could be one. We just don't
know :)

> This is normally done by a script which calls autoconf and automake
> to create Makefile.in. Later ./configure creates Makefile from Makefile.in.
> In libisoburn the script has the name ./bootstrap and contains:
>   aclocal -I .
>   libtoolize --copy --force
>   autoconf
>   automake --foreign --add-missing --copy --include-deps
> Don't ask me why. I inherited it in 2006 in the course of the libburn fork.
> autotools usage worldwide is nearly completely driven by hearsay.

There is some amount of cargo-cult in there. But it pays to try to
understand it (I didn't succeed completely, mind you, but still...)

> @ Igor Korot:
> It would be interesting to see the effective compiler options (which the
> make run seems to hide from the user) and whether the usage-ready
> Makefile contains the lines

I think the compile line must be visible (in its expanded form) in the
build logs. I'd urge Igor to look out for it. And tell us, of course :)

Cheers