Re: odd name of LUKS partition

On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 03:35, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> A dozen or so lines from the end of /var/log/installer/syslog,
> you'll probably see a line like:
>
> Apr 17 01:43:04 cdrom-detect: Unmounting and ejecting '/dev/sdXn'
>
> which is the d-i "ejecting" the "CD" that the installer was on.

Thanks, David. This is what I got:

root@backup-server:~# grep 'Unmounting and ejecting'
/var/log/installer/syslog
Jun 10 16:36:35 cdrom-detect: Unmounting and ejecting '/dev/sdc1'

So I still don't know why the LUKS partition is sdb3_crypt instead of
sda3_crypt. I did not change cables after installation, nor even
opened the case.

I looked at the installer log. During installation the bigger drive
was sda and the smaller (where Debian was installed) was sdb. This is
not surprising as I on purpose plugged the cable for the bigger drive
at the SATA port with lower number. The Debian installer did its job
properly. The mystery is why the Linux kernel enumerated the bigger
driver as sda during installation and sdb after installation.
Investigating this would be like going down a rabbit hole so maybe not
worthwhile to spend time on. At least now I know it was the kernel
that changed the drive letter and that it has nothing to do with the
installer.