Re: odd name of LUKS partition

On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 11:58, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Recently I installed bullseye on a PC using netinst. During
> installation I used the automatic installer and chose encrypted mode
> with some space left empty. This is what I got:
>
> root@backup-server:~# lsblk
> NAME                            MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
> sda                               8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk
> ├─sda1                            8:1    0   512M  0 part  /boot/efi
> ├─sda2                            8:2    0   488M  0 part  /boot
> └─sda3                            8:3    0 231.9G  0 part
>   └─sdb3_crypt                  254:0    0 231.9G  0 crypt
>     ├─backup--server--vg-root   254:1    0  45.6G  0 lvm   /
>     └─backup--server--vg-swap_1 254:2    0   976M  0 lvm   [SWAP]
> sdb                               8:16   0   3.7T  0 disk
> └─sdb1                            8:17   0   3.7T  0 part
>
> What I find odd is that the name of the LUKS partition is sdb3_crypt
> and not sda3_crypt, which I would expect as it is in sda, not sdb. Any
> ideas why this is so?

Because the drive with the LUKS partition was identified as sdb
when the installer was running. Perhaps the installer was running
from sda. This name 'sdb3_crypt' is just an arbitrary string used
to name the LUKS volume in /etc/crypttab. You can't change this
arbitrary string easily because it also is used inside the initrd, but
it is possible if you're prepared to go down a rabbit hole of chroot
and rebuild the initrd.