Re: how to get rid of anacron?

On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 12:07:59 -0400
Timothy M Butterworth <timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 2:15 PM Chris Mitchell <chris@oldnest.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a unit file named email-notify@.service with contents:
> >     [Unit]
> >     Description=%i email notification
> >
> >     [Service]
> >     Type=oneshot
> >
> >     ExecStart=/bin/bash -c '/bin/systemctl status %i |
> > /usr/bin/mail \ -s "%H: %i $(/bin/systemctl show -p ActiveState
> > --value %i)" root'
>
> Are you creating this file in: /usr/lib/systemd/system or
> /etc/systemd/system/

/etc/systemd/system/

As I understand it, files under /usr/lib/systemd/system should only be
created or modified by packages. A sysadmin who wants to add new units
should always put them under /etc/systemd/system.

Bonus tip: overrides to package-provided units should also go under
/etc/systemd/system, even if the original unit files are in
/usr/lib/systemd/system. The command `systemctl edit <unit>`
automatically creates the precisely named path and file for this
purpose.

The official systemd documentation is not the most readable thing ever,
but it's pretty thorough, and does detail the hierarchy of unit file
and override locations.
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.unit.html

Cheers!
 -Chris

PS: Please keep all replies on-list so others can benefit from
follow-up questions and answers.