Re: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR Problem

Thomas George seems to be having trouble specifying the list address
when sending messages intended for the list, so I'm reproducing two
private messages below, in chronological order, with my reply below them.

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 00:41, Thomas George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> First, when I replied to you I also replied to lists, unfortunately the
> wrong lists. I have corrected that on this reply.
>
> Second, the problem is with the terminal I was using, an LXterminal
> selected from the KDE browser's system options. An alternate choice is
> Konsole.
>
> The test I am using start gnuplot, plot cos (x), close the resulting
> plot, plot cos (x) again.
>
> Using the LXterminal the first plot is created but the second fails and
> plot no longer works.
>
> Using Konsole both plots are created and plot continues to work.
>
> I never used Konsole in the past but in the middle of the night last
> night I had a sudden thought that I should try it.
>
> I don't know why I did this and I don't know why they are different.

Hi Thomas George,

You still aren't using the mailing list properly. You need to send
messages To:  debian-user@lists.debian.org

You can check what is successfully seen by the list here:
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/07/threads.html

> Second, the problem is with the terminal I was using, an LXterminal
> selected from the KDE browser's system options. An alternate choice is
> Konsole.
>
> The test I am using start gnuplot, plot cos (x), close the resulting
> plot, plot cos (x) again.
>
> Using the LXterminal the first plot is created but the second fails and
> plot no longer works.

I duplicated your test of plotting cos(x) twice, using LXTerminal and
LXDE desktop environment that I have here, and gnuplot works
without any problem.

Did you install libpam-systemd? You might also need to reboot.
Do you still see the error message about XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
that you described in your first email message?