XDG_RUNTIME_DIR Problem

After starting gnuplot the first plot works followed by the message "XDG-RUNTIME_DIR not set, switching to /tmp/runtime_root. After the plot command no longer works.

The man page for xdg-user-dirs-update lists possible setting for xdg but RUNTIME is not included. Even if it could reset XDG-RUNTIME.DIR I am not sure what directory and file I should direct it to.

Something changed in Debian 11? gnuplot is a nice program which worked well in the past.

Any suggestions ?