Re: How's ...

Will Mengarini wrote:
> * Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> [22-07/04=Mo 00:43 -0700]:
> > ... your day going?
>
> Hairier than Gene Heskett's nostrils, because "up"grading Perl from
> 5.8.8 to 5.34.1 had a fine `make test`, then installed a CPAN that's
> so broken it abends before it finishes its own Configure, thereby
> making it impossible to upgrade anything else, and leaving the new Perl
> unrunnable because compiled modules keep reporting missing symbols
> and abending, because they need to be recompiled, which is what CPAN
> is *for*, and of course it can't do that, because it too depends on
> compiled modules that cause it to abend before it can recompile them.

Bullseye comes with 5.32.x; is there a reason that won't work
for you?

> Somebody needs to reimplement CPAN in Bash just so we can bootstrap a
> totally broken Perl without needing to run out and buy a new computer.
> I mean, how hard can it be (assuming you grok what CPAN actually
> *does*, which I don't yet, and know Bash, which I know just enough
> of to make Greg Wooledge hate me)?

CPAN is a repository for Perl modules the same way that
debian.org provides a repository for Debian packages. You can
access it several different ways, but in general using the
Debian dh-make-perl package to pull a CPAN module and convert it
into a .deb will make you happiest, especially if you have to
install it on more than one machine.

> For extra fun, I have to interrupt soon because I *JUST* found out
> that my physician is retiring EIGHT DAYS from today, I'm ADHD and
> have already run out of methylphenidate, and that physician has been
> my only source; the only one I know in the Seattle area who isn't
> intimidated by a medically-competent client or offended that I consider
> my own body to be my property and not that of the physicians' guild.

You may wish to ask your physician to recommend you specifically
to a younger doc, and vice-versa.

-dsr-