Re: dlna server for roku?

On 5/14/22, Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land> wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 05:29:36PM +0000, Lee wrote:
>>I'd like to watch my own video files on a Roku; apparently what I need
>>is DLNA software on my server..
>>I haven't read anything really good about
>>MiniDLNA/ReadyDLNA/ReadyMedia, so before I spend who knows how much
>>time tring to get it working, is there some other DLNA server software
>>that I should be looking at?
>
> MiniDLNA works for me. I stream to Roku devices, and it's packaged in
> Debian.

Thanks!  Getting MiniDLNA to work was surprisingly easy :)

2 obvious issues tho:

1. fast forward/reverse doesn't show thumbnail pics so I get a rough
idea of what I'm skipping over.  Is there some way to enable that?

2. this
> Sometimes some media or other doesn't appear on the end device.
> When that happens I just transcode it (It hasn't happened to anything
> where I'd be concerned about the fidelity of doing so)

Do you use handbrake, winff or something else to transcode to mp4?

Thanks
Lee