Re: macchanger - is it still working?

On Mon 09 May 2022 at 19:49:11 (+0200), Hans wrote:
> > I don't know what you searched for.
> >
> I searched for all files below /etc of a string "IFACE", then looked at something like "IFACE=all"
> or "IFACE=--all" or similar.

It's always worth searching for the parts separately, even though a
lot of false hits can result.

But I googled   iface=--all network

(adding network to avoid phone cases), and that hit   man interfaces,
wherein I find (selected lines):

--✄✄✄✄--

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       All  hook  scripts,  and  the commands executed by pre-up, up, post-up,
       pre-down, down and post-down have access to the  following  environment
       variables:

       IFACE  The  physical  name of the interface being processed, or "--all"
              (see below).

 [ … ]

       Additionally, all options given in an interface definition  stanza  are
       exported to the environment in upper case with "IF_" prepended and with
       hyphens converted to underscores and non-alphanumeric  characters  dis‐
       carded.

       When  ifupdown is being called with the --all option, before doing any‐
       thing to interfaces, it calls all the hook  scripts  (pre-up  or  down)
       with  IFACE set to "--all", LOGICAL set to the current value of --allow
       parameter  (or  "auto"   if   it's   not   set),   ADDRFAM="meta"   and
       METHOD="none".   After all the interfaces have been brought up or taken
       down, the appropriate scripts (up or post-down) are executed.

--✄✄✄✄--

So now the search might be for   ifup or down, other options perhaps,
and somewhere or other, --all. A lot of alternatives. So best search
for just '\--all' (noting the escaped hyphen). Nowadays I tend to
check /etc/, /var/lib/dpkg/info/, and /lib/systemd/ for your
configuration, Debian's, and systemd's. So

# grep -r '\--all' /etc/ /var/lib/dpkg/info/ /lib/systemd/

and you'll know it's working as you'll hit some --allow strings.

> > What does your /etc/network/interfaces (and subdirectories) contain?
> >

> Only this:
>
> --------------------
>
> auto lo wlp5s0 enp0s10
>
> iface lo inet loopback
> address 127.0.0.1
> netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> --------------------
> Everything else is commented out, as network-manager recommends this.

Does NM really want "auto lo wlp5s0 enp0s10" in /e/n/i? That surprises
me. Another (pre-bullseye) package that avoided interfaces in /e/n/i,
wicd, would expect no mention of its interfaces in /e/n/i, leaving just:

  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

I would try that.

> > A workaround for your problem might be to set IFACE appropriately
> > in /etc/default/macchanger.
>
> Yes, that is a good idea, I will do so.

You could then unwind this, and just set ENABLE_INTERFACES in
/etc/default/macchanger as appropriate (and if required).

Cheers,
David.