Re: macchanger - is it still working?

On Mon 09 May 2022 at 08:52:39 (+0200), Hans wrote:
> So, tried again.
>
> The param in /etc/default/macchanger is set to "=true"
>

> --------------------
>
> # before bringing up any network interface, run macchanger. Careful, this is
> # not guaranteed to prevent leaking your real MAC address before the new one
> # gets assigned!
> #
> ENABLE_ON_POST_UP_DOWN=true
>

> # by default, macchanger runs on all network interfaces but loopback (lo).  If
> # you only want it to run on specific network interfaces, set them here:
> #
> #ENABLE_INTERFACES="wlan0"
> --------------------
> Hoqwever, it looks, somewhere the IFACE variable is wrong set. But it looks like, this is not set
> by macchanger.
>
> I searched through all configs below /etc, but could not find any.

I don't know what you searched for.

> This is the log output of macchanger:
>

> --------------------
>

> IFACE = --all
> /usr/bin/macchanger: unrecognized option '--all'
> GNU MAC Changer
> Usage: macchanger [options] device
>
>  -h,  --help                   Print this help
>  -V,  --version                Print version and exit
>  -s,  --show                   Print the MAC address and exit
>  -e,  --ending                 Don't change the vendor bytes
>  -a,  --another                Set random vendor MAC of the same kind
>  -A                            Set random vendor MAC of any kind
>  -p,  --permanent              Reset to original, permanent hardware MAC
>  -r,  --random                 Set fully random MAC
>  -l,  --list[=keyword]         Print known vendors
>  -b,  --bia                    Pretend to be a burned-in-address
>  -m,  --mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
>       --mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  Set the MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
>
> Report bugs to https://github.com/alobbs/macchanger/issues
> IFACE = lo
> ignoring loopback
> --------------------
> Hope this helps.

ifup has --all as one of its possible options. The man page uses
IFACE as a placeholder for the interface name, ie

  ifup -a|IFACE...

would be specified as

  ifup -a

or

  ifup --all

or

  ifup wlan0

or

  ifup wlan0 eth1

etc. I don't use ifup much, but typically the d-i would install
something like

  allow-hotplug enpXsY
  iface enpXsY inet dhcp

into /e/n/i.

However, the man page implies that you could write just

  auto

and I wonder what ifup command would be generated from that.

What does your /etc/network/interfaces (and subdirectories) contain?

A workaround for your problem might be to set IFACE appropriately
in /etc/default/macchanger.

Cheers,
David.