Re: customize Debian 11 evironment in lightdm (and in general?)

On Sat, 7 May 2022 at 03:16, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

> > Hi, you wrote a lot of other stuff that I have trimmed, but from
> > what I have quoted above it seems that your complaint is that
> > when you use a login shell you get a XDG_DATA_DIRS value
> > you want, and when you login via lightdm you do not.
>
> Yes, the same also happens when using gdm3
>
> > Is that the entire problem that you want to solve?
>
> Yes
>
> > If so, this suggests to me that your failure case occurs because you
> > are missing some aspect of ~/.profile from the good case.
>
> Please read all I wrote about the fact that all the environment
> variables I set via ~/.xsessionrc are correctly configures, all but
> XDG_DATA_DIRS (for example: INFOPATH, GUIX_LOCPATH)

Hi Giovanni

If your ~/.profile and your ~/.xsessionrc are as you showed us in
your first message (quoted below), then they do not set any
value for XDG_DATA_DIRS.

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 02:55, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:

> This is my ~/.profile:

> ### Guix settings
> #
> # add Guix current path
> export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> # Locale path
> export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
> # add Guix infopath
> export INFOPATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"
> # set default Guix profile
> export GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile"
> # source default Guix profile
> . $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile

> and this is my ~/.xsessionrc:

> if [ -f ~/.profile ]; then
>     . ~/.profile
> fi
>
> export XSESSION_WAS_HERE="Yes"

I do not see XDG_DATA_DIRS being set anywhere there.

Perhaps it is being set by
  $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile
if so then I'm sorry if I missed where you told us that.

That is why I am suggesting various methods that I successfully
use to configure my environment in LXDE.

These methods bascially are using ~/.xsessionrc to invoke
statements that need to occur at login, similar to what
~/.profile does.

However just invoking these files is insufficient, somewhere
they actually need to export the value of XDG_DATA_DIRS
that you desire.

Where do you try to set XDG_DATA_DIRS ?