Re: customize Debian 11 evironment in lightdm (and in general?)

On Sat, May 07, 2022 at 12:36:59AM +1000, David wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 02:55, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to customize my user environment when using the lightdm
> > display manager (then the LXDE desktop environment)
> >
> > I need to customize some variables so I can see Guix installed
> > applications in my desktop menu, in particular I need to customize
> > XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

This bring up another point that we haven't really pursued yet.

What program produces this "desktop menu"?  What is that process's
ancestry (e.g. pstree -s THATPID)?

There's been a whole discussion about the environment variable being
set right or wrong in a *terminal*, but is that really relevant?  Is
the desktop menu produced by running a shell command?  If not, then
the terminal is not important.