[SOLVED] Re: One-user system.

    From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
    Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:08:28 -0600
> I can't understand this.

In a freshly installed Debian, /etc/passwd sets the home directory for
root at /root. Here /etc/passwd sets the home directory for root at
/home/root.  No problem observed.

> You may hit snags. Some programs might refuse to run, or do
> strange things because they're written to distinguish between
> root and an ordinary user.
>
> But hey, it could be quite exciting, like carrying a cocked
> revolver tucked into your waistband. One casual typo, one
> misplaced space, and you can blow away a whole disk.

Working routinely for about 93 days and I no longer bother to keep
fingers crossed.  If reinstallation becomes necessary, tough luck.
Just another chore.

What I'm doing is similar to using DOS years ago; although DOS
predates experience of most people reading now.  If login is used
properly, root shouldn't be more vulnerable than any other account.
You're welcome to probe my system.  If you find a vulnerability, a
post will help or amuse more than me.

> ... Puppy ...

Incidentally, OpenBox is here with minimal graphics displayed.
Most programs start from a terminal.  Puppy is a nice system but
the graphical interface is more than I want.

> ISTR earlier posts where you've run up against permission problems,
> but IMHO just running as perpetual root is not a sensible answer.

For years my data was on an SD card reformatted to ext3. When
switching to a new SD about a month ago, I decided to leave the
factory installed FAT file system.  No problems.  The FAT file system
lacks permissions as in ext.

Motivation to leave FAT: authorities claim the factory format is
optimized.

Regards,                      ... P.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147