Re: Odd reproducible problem - but is it a bug?

On Wed, 4 May 2022 05:23:31 +0200
Anders Andersson <pipatron@gmail.com> wrote:

> On this note, I've always found it annoying that debian (and likely
> others) don't put /sbin in the normal user's $PATH. A lot of the tools
> there have uses other than modifying the system.

It can be annoying, but for good reason. In a multi-user system (such
as Unix), it is a good security precaution to reserve programs that can
modify or even inform the user about the state of the system to trusted
users, such as root or wheel. Hence regular programs for regular users
go into directories called bin, and system programs go into directories
called sbin, and paths are set accordingly.

Even on a single user system the distinction is worth retaining. If
nothing else, one occasionally needs a reminder to be careful with
certain programs lest one shoot oneself in the foot.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/