Odd reproducible problem - but is it a bug?

I'm using Debian 10.7 with MATE DE [will be updated later this week]
The machine is a Lenovo T510 and is setup to login as either "richard" or "root".

If logged in as "richard" I can execute su {+ password} and receive a prompt indicating I'm "root".

However if I then enter "update-grub", the response is
  "bash: update-grub: command not found"
as if I were the unprivileged user "richard".

All is normal if I had initially been "root" or had become "root" via
System -> Log Out richard  .

Bug?