Re: Looking for documentation package

Gary L. Roach writes:
> I have been looking for a documentation system that would allow me to
> write cursive paragraphs with math formulas interspersed and then have
> the formulas solved. Some examples that almost do what I want is Sage,
> Octave and Cantor (with the proper backend). So far all seem to be
> missing the /* text */ capability of the C language and have no
> subscript superscript capability. I like Cantor a lot but haven't been
> able to get around these two hurdles. Could anyone help.

Hi Gary.

Tex/Latex/AmsTex are the obvious best choices for doing exactly
that. They were written to do such things:

    1) Write a shell script with the variable names calculated,
       (perhaps from C or Python,) and output in Tex format.

    2) Include the file, (or version(s) thereof,) in Tex page(s) that
       does the type setting.

You might be able to do something with the Calc function in emacs,
too, (but it might have limited capability for mathematical type
setting.)

    John

--

John Conover, conover@panix.com, http://www.johncon.com/