Re: Networking book recommendation

On 5/3/22 12:42, Tom Browder wrote:
I'm about to sign up for a fixed IPv4 address to my home. I know a bit
about setting up simple internal networks, but want to make sure I'm
doing it all correctly and securely. Does anyone have a good book they
recommend for such use?

On 5/3/22 14:32, Tom Browder wrote:
> The sites are historically low traffic, but I'll watch out for problems.
> Our current ISP is AT&T and they are laying fiber quickly in my area.

I have stumbled my way through networking over the years, reading whatever I could find. A recent book that I can recommend is "Networking for System Administrators" by Lucas:

    https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking#n4sa

Do not conflate running public services on the Internet and remote access to your LAN over the Internet. I strongly recommend a virtual private server (VPS) for the former and a virtual private network (VPN) for the latter.

For SOHO networking, I now use UniFi hardware products:

    https://ui.com/

The UniFi Controller is running on a Debian VPS at Linode. Creating the node is automated via a Linode Stack Script. In addition to the UniFi Controller (which includes VPN capabilities), the node image includes fail2ban, LetsEncrypt key management, and other features:

    https://www.linode.com/

David