Re: Debian 8

On Thu, 2022-09-29 at 14:52 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 03:09:13PM +0100, David wrote:
> > I have loaded Debian 8 on to a 64 bit pc.
> >
> > Everything went well until I came to configure it, the local screen
> > is
> > blank, but if I SSH into the box it works. But I can only logon as
> > user.
> >
> > I need to be able to logon as root to make changes. I've tried
> > sudu,
> > but as the sudo program has not been loaded I cant.
> >
> > Can any body suggest how to logon as root.
> >
> > David.
> >

> David,
>
> Debian 8 is well beyond Debian support, reaching the end of LTS on
> 30/6/2020.
>
> Wipe this: install Debian 11. Ideally, use the firmware .iso to
> install to
> help provide necessary firmware - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/
> unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-
> cd/firmware-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> It may help us to help you further if you can outline what machine
> this is for
> and what you intend to use it for.
>
> All the very best,
>
> Andy Cater

The software I want to run is provided by Ubiquity as an NVR for their
cameras, I have versions for Debian 7, 8 & 9.

This software also needs the Mongoo data base which is only available
for Debian 8 & 11.

Hence as I see it Debian 8 was my only choice.

My other choice would be to re-flash the cameras and find an NVR to
suit, but I haven't found anything suitable.

Unless anybody can make a suggestion, my son-in-law also has the same
issue.

David.