Re: Debian 8

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 08:13:56PM +0100, David wrote:

[...]

> The software I want to run is provided by Ubiquity as an NVR for their
> cameras, I have versions for Debian 7, 8 & 9.

I think the warnings from both Andys and hede are a bit too one-sided,
if well-meant.

If you need to install an older Debian, that's what the archives are
for, after all (I had to, for a customer's embedded system, and the
archives were invaluable for the system itself as well as for the
chroot cross-compile environment to create specific binaries: said
system had 4 megabytes of RAM and 4 megabytes of flash (yes *mega*,
you read correctly) so no chance a current debian could play there).

You should somewhat know what you are doing: exposing such a system
to the wide internet would be asking for trouble, of course. I wouldn't
use that as my "dayly driver" without a very good reason, either.

Generalizations always suck :-)

Cheers