Re: Debian 8

Am 29.09.2022 18:02, schrieb Andy Smith:
Hello,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 03:43:32PM +0100, David wrote:
The reason for Debian 8 is the software I want to run on it.

This is a really bad idea. The whole thing is lacking security
fixes, so it will only continue to get worse.

If there was no way to make this software work on a non-obsolete
operating system and there was no way to avoid running the software,
I'd be looking into more extreme measures like running just that app
in a chroot or container on an otherwise up to date system.

That was also my first thought. I'd also prefer this one in most cases. But a native system could also have its reasons. For example if an old (proprietary) machine control system needs old drivers or an old kernel and full control of hardware (for example for some bit banging interface).

And a solution with old and unsupported software doesn't have to mean you cannot operate it in a secure manner. If there's a dedicated or secured network (DMZ, firewalled, no direct internet access, etc.) or even for offline systems I see no reason not to do it.

hede