Choice of browser? [WAS Re: how do i configure lynx browser as default browser for html]

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 08:02:54AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2022-09-29 at 07:49, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> > There are hints in this thtread as to where to configure your
> > default browser. Update-alternatives is probably your friend here. If
> > all of this is just to run the Wikipedia cleaner application, then
> > you may well want a GUI browser anyway to check how it looks to
> > others in a GUI.
>
> To be fair, it used to be - and, by some lights, still is - good
> practice to test a Website in multiple types of browser to make sure it
> works to a suitable standard in all of them.
>
> I certainly wouldn't want to discourage people from including text-mode
> Web browsers in that type of testing.

Hi Wanderer,

Yes, absolutely: as someone peripherally involved in accessibility and
disability, this is completely correct and desirable. If lynx is the
only text-mode browser you test, that's fine - links and elinks also
exist and may produce different results. If you yourself are constrained to
use a text mode browser for other reasons, then you are already very
aware that a graphical browser may be very different.

Wikipedia is fairly heavily formatted, as are most wikis so it shouldn't
make a lot of difference.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater