Re: networking.service: start operation timed out [SOLVED]

On 31/8/22 10:45 pm, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

I don't use haproxy but I see there is a package for it in the Debian
repos. I think what you are seeing should be reported as a bug in
haproxy if you are using the Debian packaged version. The haproxy
package should start haproxy at the appropriate time during boot,
and systemd provides the ability to make services such as haproxy
depend on certain systemd targets being reached before it tries to
start, such as the network-online target which I think would be
enough for haproxy to start. But in any case, you might report a bug
in haproxy and see if the package maintainers can help you out if
you are using the Debian packaged version.

haproxy does retry three (?) times over a period. The problem is my upstream provider can take up to 10 minutes to provide a dhcp address and ipv6 RA.

The network service does start correctly, but lapses into a retry mode when it can't get the full delegation at once.

haproxy requires a configured interface for it to bind to. Typically this means bind to an IP address and port. If the solicitation to the upstream router hasn't happened, there is no IP and port to bind. haproxy does have an (undocumented?) retry feature to repeatedly try to bind over a period.

If any bug request is to be logged, perhaps it should be for haproxy to have configurable binding options including number of retries or time elapsed?

Jeremy