Re: networking.service: start operation timed out

On 27/8/22 8:25 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 11:55:44AM -0000, Curt wrote:
On 2022-08-27, Jeremy Ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> wrote:
I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to diagnose or cure the
problem.  I have set VERBOSE=yes in /etc/default/networking

First of all ensure NetworkManager is really dead.
Your advice and the advice of Andrew M.A. Cater appear
to be antithetical.

This is only an observation and not a criticism of any kind.
There are different flavours around. I'm more the ifupdown type.
When I see Network Manager, I run away. When I see systemd...
no, I don't see systemd. Then there's the NM flavour. Then, the
systemd-networkd flavour.

Further to my longer reply on this list, there are three separate network configuration & management services that can be running at the same time on a debian system

 * networking.service
 * systemd-networkd.service
 * NetworkManager.service

The usual mode of operation under systemd has

 * networking.service always enabled
 * NetworkManager.service is usually enabled by default
 * systemd-networkd.service may or may not be enabled by default, but
   usually has no meaningful configuration

My experience is to leave networking.service handling loopback and then have either systemd-networkd.service to manage the more complex stuff, or have NetworkManager.service do this.

It's really bad news to have both NetworkManager.service and systemd-networkd.service trying to work at the same time.

If you have a laptop and/or wireless connections and you are a relative newbie, use NetworkManager.service and NetworkManager GUI to control stuff and will mostly do what you want - but not always, and not transparently. You may find rebooting the system is the only way to fix problems.

If you want absolute reliable control then networking.service on its own is a good simple choice. As an alternative, systemd-networkd-service may give you more features and still be reliable.

--
Jeremy