Re: networking.service: start operation timed out

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 09:07:49PM +0800, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> Further to my longer reply on this list, there are three separate network
> configuration & management services that can be running at the same time on
> a debian system
>
>  * networking.service
>  * systemd-networkd.service
>  * NetworkManager.service
>
> The usual mode of operation under systemd has
>
>  * networking.service always enabled
>  * NetworkManager.service is usually enabled by default
>  * systemd-networkd.service may or may not be enabled by default, but
>    usually has no meaningful configuration
>
> My experience is to leave networking.service handling loopback and then have
> either systemd-networkd.service to manage the more complex stuff, or have
> NetworkManager.service do this.

For the record, NetworkManager.service is typically only installed if
you select a Desktop Environment (GNOME, KDE, etc.).  On a system without
one of those beasts installed:

unicorn:~$ systemctl status NetworkManager.service
Unit NetworkManager.service could not be found.

In which case, network interface configuration is probably handled
exclusively by networking.service (a.k.a. /etc/network/interfaces).

None of these configurations is "right" or "wrong".  All that matters
is getting one of them to work for you.  If you prefer NM, then by all
means use NM -- even if you have to install it separately.  If you
prefer interfaces(5), then use that.