Problems with systemd-resolved (was Re: networking.service: start operation timed out [SOLVED]_

On Wed, 2022-08-31 at 08:49 +0800, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> A result of the use of resolved is the start-up and dependency logic.

Another problem I had with systemd-resolved on an Ubuntu box was that
it refuses to forward single part names to the DNS server it got by
DHCP (names like 'printer1' as opposed 'printer1.domain'). Instead, it
wants to try and resolve them as Link-Local Multicast Name
Resolution. I tried disabling that feature [1] but it still doesn't
forward, so I disabled systemd-resolved and hard coded /etc/resolv.conf
point to my DNS server.

My Debian boxes don't have this problem because as Greg pointed out,
systemd-resolved isn't enabled on Debian by default (as of the  current
Stable release.)

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/netplan/+bug/1777523/comments/8

--
Tixy