Re: Weird set -u error

On Fri, 26 Aug 2022, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 10:57:44AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

There are also various hacks that are compiled into Debian's version
of bash [...]

At this moment, I'm kind of leaning toward one of those hacks being
triggered by your specific combination of factors.

That's the most convincing conjecture so far, I'd say :)

It's bash:

$ bash -uc :
$ ( bash -uc : )
'PS1='
/etc/bash.bashrc: line 8: PS1: unbound variable
$ ( bash -uc : ; : )
$

I modified /etc/bash.bashrc to prove it was only being sourced in the
second case above (it prints the value of PS1)

And now I can reproduce without -u
$ bash -c :
$ ( bash -c : )
'PS1='