Re: Weird set -u error

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 02:40:55PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
> But that's backwards, make is starting an interactive shell when its
> output is redirected. When I don't redirect make's output it works.

I thought you were piping in the original message.  There is a difference
between a pipe, and a redirection.

You might want to test both, and see exactly which one(s) trigger this
behavior.  It's still not clear to me whether it's make(1) passing the
-i option for some reason, or bash incorrectly deciding that it should
read these startup files, based on whatever criteria it uses to sense
whether it's being run as an interactive shell.

There are also various hacks that are compiled into Debian's version
of bash, for example the one that reads the interactive startup files
if bash believes it's the child of an sshd daemon.  This is not the
default behavior of upstream bash, but most Linux distributions enable
this behavior because they believe, rightly or wrongly, that their users
bases expect it.

At this moment, I'm kind of leaning toward one of those hacks being
triggered by your specific combination of factors.