Re: networking.service: start operation timed out

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 03:06:24PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> In Debian 11/bullseye my system keeps reporting timeouts while trying
> to bring up the first non-loopback interface.  According to ip, the
> interface actually is up, but ifup/down do not know that.  My 2nd
> interface is down, and there is no mention of attempting to bring it
> up in the logs.  I can bring up both interfaces after startup,
> suggesting there may be something special about the initial
> environment that is causing trouble, but I don't know what.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to diagnose or cure the
> problem.  I have set VERBOSE=yes in /etc/default/networking

Cut /etc/network/interfaces down to the lo stanza

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Remove EVERYTHING else.

Use Network Manager / nmtui / nmcli to build back what you need slowly

If you have interfaces mentioned in /etc/network/interfaces - the old way -
you will face problems.

Hand editing the files is probably not the way to do this any more.

Hope this helps,

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater