Re: USB WiFi Adapter

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 03:11:45AM +0200, basti wrote:
> https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters#Working_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters
>
> Am 24.08.22 um 01:55 schrieb Timothy M Butterworth:
> > All,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a USB WiFi adapter that will work without binary
> > blob proprietary drivers?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > --
> > ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
> > ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
> > ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/ <https://www.debian.org/>
> > ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀

Very old Atheros chipsets have some free firmware, I think.

If you can find them, those using Ath9k now have a free firmware and Atheros
 AR9271

Essentially almost none now - which is why ThinkPenguin are so expensive. Oh
and as someone pointed out, you still need *a* blob to deal with regulatory
stuff, esp. in USA.

See also one of the very valid reasons why we're talking about firmware over
in debian-vote at the moment.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater