Errors while performing postgresql backup (Was Re: Softraid & partclone)

Hi Testler,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 07:54:03AM +0300, Testler Test wrote:
> > Let's see the output of "cat /proc/mdstat".
>
> The raid status is as follows. No problem appears.
>
> # cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md2 : active raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0]
>       232623424 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
>       bitmap: 1/2 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk
>
> md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
>       523264 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
>
> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
>       16759808 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

Yep, nothing to do there. Whatever problems you are seeing are not
likely to be related to the RAID layer.

What filesystem are you using on md2?

> -% Sda:

[…]

> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> -% sdb

[…]

> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

So, although it says "PASSED" for both of these, it would still be
good to look at all the attributes with "smartctl -A".

The most interesting thing to know would be the exact text of the
error messages that you are seeing (which I assume happen when you
fail to back up your database).

Are you just doing a pg_dump or are you shutting postgres down and
backing up the psql/data directory with usual filesystem tools?

Depending on what sort of errors you are seeing you may have a
damaged filesystem in which case it would be advisable to set it
read only and take an image of it to work with, so as to avoid
creating more damage.

Cheers,
Andy