Re: Comments on upgrade steps from one version of Debian to another

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 06:34:10PM -0400, John Boxall wrote:

[...]

> Chuck,
> I found the DebianUpgrade wiki page and all of the commands use "apt". When
> I have used "apt-get" it regularly pumps out a disclaimer that it doesn't
> have a good/reliable cli for scripting.

No, it's the other way around. Apt is the one doing this warning:

 - apt-get is the "older" interface. Many things are missing or confusing
   for newbies (why "apt-get install foo" but "apt-file search bar"?).
   It has been embedded in many scripts (e.g. "apt-get ... | sed -e 's/foo/bar'),
   thus changing its output format is out (those scripts would break)

 - apt is the "newer" interface ("apt install foo", "apt install bar"). Its
   authors don't want yet to commit to a fixed interface, thus the warning.

> I'm going to look at aptitude a little more.

Yet another interface. Its conflict resolution algorithm is way more sophisticated.
Personally, I've perceived this sometimes as an advantage, sometimes as a
disadvantage.

Cheers