Re: Comments on upgrade steps from one version of Debian to another

On 8/20/2022 9:48 PM, John Boxall wrote:
I created an upgrade script based on something I found a few years ago
that indicated the steps to follow to upgrade from one version of Debian
to another (e.g. Buster 10 to Bullseye 11). As I am going to need to run
this script at some point (I am still running Buster/10 on my systems),
I thought I'd ask the Debian user brain trust to comment/critique the
scripted steps. So here they are:

############### Start

<snip>

(I don't even have this part started yet....didn't know I needed it the
last time I ran it)
#

The lines for the security mirror has changed on Bullseye.

<snip>

############### End

Thoughts/critique/criticism/flames/etc

The script does not bail out on command failure, you might want to
takecare of that if you automate this process by way of a script.
That is all I can say on the cmds.

If I may, for a fiew servers I would do it manually instead of blindly
using a bunch of commands.

If you need to automate this process, you should familiorize yourself
with something like Ansible or in anycase a more robust solution.

For upgrading Buster to Bullseye, I used:

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get upgrade
$ apt-get full-upgrade

For better or worse, Debian let you upgrade or reinstall from scratch.

--
John Doe