Re: Raising volume past 100%

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022, Curt wrote:
On 2022-08-18, David Griffith <dave@661.org> wrote:

What I seek is 1) the ability to hover the mouse pointer over the volume
applet and raise the volume past 100% using the mouse wheel and 2) the
ability to click on the volume applet and use the slider that appears to
raise the volume past 100%.  I already know how to bring up a dialog to do
this.  I was able to do #1 before an untimely wipe and reinstall and am
having trouble figuring out just what I did.

A pulse audio applet called 'pasystray' can seemingly reach astronomical
heights:

However, pasystray lets you go up "forever". At least I never hit a
ceiling. The only thing is that it doesn't exactly have a volume
control slider. You go to the applet and use the mouse scroll wheel to
go up/down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/287cu3/raise_max_volume_above_150/

I'm pretty sure that was it! Thanks! My fiddling around with ~/.asoundrc was a red herring.

Now I feel a compulsion to figure out if Alsa can be made to do what this thing does. Unlike what I've been trying with Alsa, this doesn't result in any distortion until you start up into the range where the physical amplifier starts clipping. But at least on my machinery, that's far higher than where I want the volume

	o  o
	****
       *|  |\
	|  | )