Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On Sat 20 Aug 2022 at 16:13:29 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:22:27 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> >On Sat 20 Aug 2022 at 09:06:54 -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> >> On 8/20/2022 1:25 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> >> Usually upstream projects want and expect users to report bugs to
> >> the distro, not to the upstream project, for many good reasons that I
> >> need not explain here.
> >
> >You would have to explain it for my benefit because I am not familiar
> >with that procedure.
>
> Distros can, and do, apply patches to software.  Bugs should be reported
> to distros in the first instance because the maintainers are best placed
> to determine if the bug is specific to the distro or not.  Furthermore,
> the bug reported may not even be in the package it was reported against,
> but in (say) a library that the package uses.  Either way, the package
> maintainers can pass the bug to the relevant place (self, other package
> within distro, upstream).
>
> If we all went straight to the dev team of the software, they would end
> up having to deal with a load of distro specific stuff they have no hope
> of fixing.  Of course, that's be a massive waste of everybody's time.
>
> Plus, of course, what Greg said.

What you and Greg Wooledge say makes complete sense. I suppose it
also helps our users by exposing the bug in the BTS and, theoretically,
avoids duplication of reports. It was just that my limited experience
does not include upstreams wanting and expecting bugs to be reported
first to the distro as a matter of course, sensible though it might be.
As has been said:

 > In the end, everyone just has to do the best they can with
 > the knowledge they possess.

I would expect that "everyone" includes maintainers.

--
Brian.