Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:14:27AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

[...]

> > So they will allocate their resources accordingly. I've worked
> > in the belly of big corps for a while and I assure you that my
> > boss wouldn't allow me to fix a bug unless (s)he could justify
> > to their bosses that the 1400 dollars "spent" on this are coming
> > back in some way.
>
> There are plenty of "volunteers" for free software projects that also
> work, as you say, in the "belly of big corps." Are you suggesting these
> "volunteers" will ignore bugs in free software projects because their
> boss does not want them to fix the bugs in the free project and force
> users to buy a paid version of the project?

No. I'm not talking about what those people do /as volunteers/ (i.e.
in their free time, out of their own motivation), but /as employees/
(i.e. on "company time"). This was in answer to your

> > So that means "free" software written and maintained by volunteers will never be as
> > stable and secure as software that is written by people who are paid by the hour.

It should be clear that the same person may play different roles (e.g.
"paid by the hour" or "free time").

When paid by the hour, it is clear that the employer has a say in what
the employee uses her time for. If the bug doesn't seem important to
the company, it won't get fixed.

Cheers