Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:22:27 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Brian,

>On Sat 20 Aug 2022 at 09:06:54 -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
>> On 8/20/2022 1:25 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

>> Usually upstream projects want and expect users to report bugs to
>> the distro, not to the upstream project, for many good reasons that I
>> need not explain here.
>
>You would have to explain it for my benefit because I am not familiar
>with that procedure.

Distros can, and do, apply patches to software.  Bugs should be reported
to distros in the first instance because the maintainers are best placed
to determine if the bug is specific to the distro or not.  Furthermore,
the bug reported may not even be in the package it was reported against,
but in (say) a library that the package uses.  Either way, the package
maintainers can pass the bug to the relevant place (self, other package
within distro, upstream).

If we all went straight to the dev team of the software, they would end
up having to deal with a load of distro specific stuff they have no hope
of fixing.  Of course, that's be a massive waste of everybody's time.

Plus, of course, what Greg said.

--
 Regards  _
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"