Re: headless server with console on USB port

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

Hi,

is it possible to run a console on a USB port of a headless server?

The system is a Dell T20 machine

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/dell-poweredge-t20.1031138/

(the page is in German, but I am not aware of an English version with a
similar level of detail)

rd@master:~$ inxi -M
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: PowerEdge T20 v: 00 serial:
<superuser required>
          Mobo: Dell model: 0VD5HY v: A07 serial: <superuser required> BIOS:
Dell v: A14 date: 11/27/2017
rd@master:~$

with several Intel USB host controller

rd@master:~$ lspci|grep -i usb
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
USB xHCI (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
rd@master:~$

How would I know to which of the multiple USB ports to connect to?

Maybe not what you want but I've used a rpi4 with hdmi to usb capture to
control a pc from the bios. The pi4 can emulate the keyboard as well as
doing the hdmi capture.

I've even got some kicad schematics to control the power and reset and
monitor the power and usb leds. But I'm not a hardware developer so,
while it 'works for me' people who actually know what they're doing
might be horrified... but I can post them if they will be of interest.