Re: dynupdater not seeming to do anything

On 2022-07-31, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:

>>> I interpret the process list in the original post as showing a
>>> running dyn_updater:
>> You're right. I  misread all that somehow. Documentation is
>> infuriatingly sparse, but mentions that the app's ( a *GUI* app) actvity
>> is logged to a file.  Maybe the OP (who's disappeared anyway, as they
>> often do) should look there.
>
> I haven't disappeared.  We're probably in different time zones and have
> different sleep schedules.

That's good.

> I don't know about the GUI part of dyn_updater.  It just site in my task
> bar and doesn't do anything when I click it.

That's probably abnormal behavior. Or maybe not. Who knows? As far as
the GUI aspect, I looked it up, but it would be preferable if we knew
exactly what it was, where you got it, how you installed it, where it's
documented, etc. etc.

> I expect either dyn_updater or ddclient to be daemons catching any
> change in IP address and sending the change to dyndns.org.

For purposes of troubleshooting, your problem description is woefully inadequate.

> I would be just as happy to have ddclient working.  I only have
> dyn_updater because ddclient didn't seem to be working.

Maybe they're both not working for the same reason, but it's impossible
to tell, because beyond telling us they don't work, you don't give us
anything to go on.

What about the log file? Those things are usually something to go on.