Re: Grub Problem

On 25/06/2022 14:37, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
The installer found the copy of Bullseye on /dev/ssd1 and I installed
grub on /dev/sda1.

You supposed to install GRUB in a disk, not in a partition. So,
/dev/sda, not /dev/sda1. You select /dev/sda during installation.

At the end of the installation process I removed the
installationm media from the cdrom drive, rebooted the computer and
selected /dev/sda1.

I am not surprised here, if you really installed GRUB in a partition.
Computer is trying to boot from /dev/sda, and GRUB is not there, its
somewhere further down in the disk on sda1 partition. I don't think BIOS
is looking for it there.

I got an error message that /dev/sda couldn't be
found. The good news is that if I hit the reset button on the platform
the old grub menu comes up and the system boots into the version
on sdd1.

You can change boot priority by pressing button (usually F9), or
entering BIOS and selecting drive you want to boot from.

But in current state, most likely you will not be able to boot to new
Bullseye on /dev/sda, because GRUB is not correctly installed.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/