Re: Status of Virtualbox in debian

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:25 +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On 21/6/22 20:53, Siard wrote:
> > I should also note that right now there appear to be problems with the latest
> > kernel, 5.18.0. The message in the terminal where VB was started from, says:
> > "WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
> > available for the current kernel (5.18.0-1-amd64) or it failed to load."
> > Probably a temporary problem. When starting Debian with the previous kernel
> > 5.17.0, VB still works.
>
> You'll need to download and install the closed source
> Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack from their site to get USB3 working.
> From memory USB2 will work with the guest-additions-pack; but could be
> USB1.

The VirtualBox version from www.virtualbox.org offers to download and install/
update the Extension Pack automatically. I also have the Guest Additions, and
tried both USB2 and USB3. It does work, just not with Windows7. On the internet,
I see more people having problems with W7 and USB in VB.

> The USB needs to be mounted in linux for it to be recognised in vbox.

My findings are that USB is recognised in vbox, whether it is mounted in linux
or not. However, this text advises against it:

www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#settings-usb
"Be careful with USB devices that are currently in use on the host. For example,
if you allow your guest to connect to your USB hard disk that is currently
mounted on the host, when the guest is activated, it will be disconnected from
the host without a proper shutdown. This may cause data loss."