Re: Status of Virtualbox in debian

On 21/6/22 20:53, Siard wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 00:05 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 20/06/2022 14:55, Siard wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:21 +0200, Anders Andersson wrote:
Has something changed that makes virtualbox workable again,

I have the Virtualbox 6.1.34 package for Debian 11, downloaded from
www.virtualbox.org, working fine in Debian 12 (Bookworm).

Have you succeeded in gaining support for USB? I haven't yet got past
the <dkms> and guest Additions stage.

Indeed, USB appears not to be working. (Never used it.)
I have dkms and dh-dkms installed.
The VirtualBox-6.1 deb has been installed and upgraded with 'dpkg -i'.
It also puts VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into /usr/share/virtualbox.
Then in the guest OS you can choose Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image...
from the menu.
More about installing and maintaining the guest additions:
www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-linux

I should also note that right now there appear to be problems with the latest
kernel, 5.18.0. The message in the terminal where VB was started from, says:
"WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (5.18.0-1-amd64) or it failed to load."
Probably a temporary problem. When starting Debian with the previous kernel
5.17.0, VB still works.

You'll need to download and install the closed source Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack from their site to get USB3 working. From memory USB2 will work with the guest-additions-pack; but could be USB1. The USB needs to be mounted in linux for it to be recognised in vbox.

I only use USB to update my portable apps at my volunteer job. The tech area is run by contracted MSCertified techies. My experience is that they aren't familiar with gmail basics, so I'm not sure they belong in the real world - or is it that they are only allowed to say they know MS stuff.
--

All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keithrbaugroups@gmail.com