Re: Status of Virtualbox in debian

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:31:11 +0100
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>Yes, I was using it a few years ago, and a new Debian kernel made the
>guest additions unusable. I forget what I needed them for, but gave up
>on VB then. I dare say a later version of the VB additions fixed the
>problem, but there was no knowing how long this would take, or whether
>this would happen after every kernel upgrade.

Nearly. To be fair though that's usually not Debian specific, the latest
patch for our own packages for instance was liberally taken from
Arch Linux. The VB folks too are constantly trying to keep up with a
moving target as is the kernel and basically every changelog sports a
line or two announcing as much. And then these guys are (or have been
anyway) cranking out releases like hardly anything that's (mostly) free
software after all, maybe apart from Linux itself. In fact I dimly
remember FreeBSD at some point giving up on it more or less completely,
they were pretty much on their own and hopeless. We're already lucky
Linux is just big enough to be supported and somehow worth it, how
long, who knows. One probably shouldn't be surprised though if
something like this perhaps doesn't always, immediately work OOB on the
shiniest, newest kernel releases. If at all possible and stability is
the main thing, it's a typical use case for an LTS kernel by the way.

Regards,
Oliver