Re: I *think* I found the apache2 docs, but it's in .html and Icannot getfirefox to access it using "file:"+ /path/to/filedir

On 6/21/22 14:09, Gareth Evans wrote:
On Tue 21 Jun 2022, at 18:06, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
On 6/21/22 12:11, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:55:56AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

So how am I supposed to read these installed docs?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
   - Louis D. Brandeis

>From a web browser?

file:///usr/share/doc/apache2-doc

That's three slashes - file:// - two slashes - and then the filesystem path.

Hope this helps, with every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater
And that works, the third slash is new to me.

So now the only thing I've changed from the default install is in
/etc/apache2/envvars
for usr and grp to be www-data. But now it won't restart.
journalctl -xe reports:
Jun 21 12:46:16 coyote apachectl[286443]: AH00526: Syntax error on line
63 of /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/security.conf:
Jun 21 12:46:16 coyote apachectl[286443]: Invalid command 'Header', [...]
In my (unedited) version of that file:

[...]
61 # Requires mod_headers to be enabled.
62 #
63 #Header set X-Content-Type-Options: "nosniff"

If line 63 is required un-commented, then

$ sudo a2enmod headers
$ sudo systemctl restart apache2

should do the trick.
After I found it with locate/ /usr/sbin is not in su's $PATH
That fixed the error, and I uncommented the stanza in apache2.conf
that points to the directory I want the server to access, and
localhost:port# displays the default startup page ok.

dig "my-site-name" returns the proper ipv4 address.
 I just used the address:6309 and it worked. So I edited the
address bar to use the registered name:6309 and hit F5,
a couple times, and that works.

So now I need a <Directory /path/to/dir> stanza in apache2.conf that works.
This one doesn't:
<Directory /opt/www/geneslinuxbox>
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Require all granted
</Directory>

Do I need to comment out the default page to expose mine?
I have constructed that path, made a subdir for buster armhf
stuff in it and placed an preempt-rt kernel file in it.  The intent
is to let anybody download it. If the bots insist on wasting my
upload bw, I may OTP passwd protect the subdirs, but that's a
future option & howto question.

Making progress, I think, Thanks Gareth.

Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis