Re: I *think* I found the apache2 docs, but it's in .html and Icannot get firefox to access it using "file:"+ /path/to/filedir

On Tue 21 Jun 2022, at 18:06, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On 6/21/22 12:11, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:55:56AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> So how am I supposed to read these installed docs?
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>>> --
>>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>>   soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
>>> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>>>   - Louis D. Brandeis
>>>
>> >From a web browser?
>>
>> file:///usr/share/doc/apache2-doc
>>
>> That's three slashes - file:// - two slashes - and then the filesystem path.
>>
>> Hope this helps, with every good wish, as ever,
>>
>> Andy Cater
> And that works, the third slash is new to me.
>

> So now the only thing I've changed from the default install is in
> /etc/apache2/envvars
> for usr and grp to be www-data. But now it won't restart.
> journalctl -xe reports:
> Jun 21 12:46:16 coyote apachectl[286443]: AH00526: Syntax error on line
> 63 of /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/security.conf:
> Jun 21 12:46:16 coyote apachectl[286443]: Invalid command 'Header', [...]

In my (unedited) version of that file:

[...]
61 # Requires mod_headers to be enabled.
62 #
63 #Header set X-Content-Type-Options: "nosniff"

If line 63 is required un-commented, then

$ sudo a2enmod headers
$ sudo systemctl restart apache2

should do the trick.

$ sudo apache2ctl -M

should then inlclude

"headers_module (shared)"

which

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_headers.html

confirms is the identifier for mod_headers.

$ sudo a2dismod headers
$ sudo systemctl restart apache2
to disable, should that be desired.

Hope that helps.