Re: memtest86+ on 12th gen intel

On 13/06/2022 17:22, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
On 6/13/2022 11:47 AM, Ram Ramesh wrote:
I had memtest86+ working just fine on a legacy bullseye install.

However, due to age of the CPU, I recently upgraded to 12th gen
i3-12100. As part of the upgrade, I also changed over to UEFI boot.

Looks like current Memtest works only with UEFI boot (won't boot
otherwise):

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

And the legacy version is needed if runing without UEFI (which you
probably had since you hadn't enabled it before).

I'm guessing the legacy version won't boot with UEFI which is what you
are seeing.

Bijan

I think author talks about Memtest86+, not PassMark's Memtest86. There
are two independently developed programs:
https://www.memtest.org/
https://www.memtest86.com/

Memtest86+ (Plus) uses https://www.memtest.org/ webpage. This one
doesn't work in UEFI at all, to my knowledge. It's open source.

Memtest86 uses https://www.memtest86.com/. This one one is much more
established, and its being developed by PassMark Software. It only works
in UEFI, but old legacy versions for BIOS are available for download.
They have free and paid versions. Free version works perfectly fine, but
I didn't checked the licence if GPL or not?

I suggest to OP to use what works :) Either of the two. Unless open
source is a requirement then he may need to stick to Memtest86+.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/