Re: apt key handling needs to be properly documented--what to do?

Yes: that's right on point.  I do have some things I'd still like to
see.  Maybe we should continue on #1002820 to avoid clutter?  But
that's closed, and so maybe not a great choice.

Wishlist:
1. update stable so the information is more widely available.
2. Since apt-key is going away and already deprecated, the info needs
to (also?) be available elsewhere.  Maybe the man page for apt or
apt-secure.
3. The fact that not all .gpg files work should be explicitly
documented: keybox files don't work.  That is discussed earlier in the
man page, but literally it is described as a limitation on apt-key
rather than a limitation on the files in trusted.gpg.d (or other
locations).
4. It's a bit confusing to describe using /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d and
then say /etc/apt/keyrings is recommended.  I guess the former is
intended for package authors and the latter for users/sysadmins.
5. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=990521#27
expresses some reservations about the use of signed-by.  I don't
completely understand them.

Finally, though quite possibly out of scope, there's the question of
how you get the keys.  add-apt-repository, which is not part of this
package, goes through a fairly involved series of steps including use
of web interfaces and format changes with gpg in order to get a key
that's ready to put in trusted.gpg.d (although it then tries to insert
the key with the wrong format!).

Ross