Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On 2022-06-10 at 02:54, gene heskett wrote:

> On Friday, 10 June 2022 00:22:53 EDT David Wright wrote:
>>
>> On Thu 09 Jun 2022 at 15:44:48 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:

>>> Here is that partitioner menu snapshot, obtained by a network
>>> ssh login, smunched to 81kb base-64'd. Showing that d-i did not
>>> even recognize the disk I want to use for this new install.
>>>
>>> So how & what do I do to this virgin disk to make the d-i
>>> recognize it so I can install to it?
>>
>> Well, you already know what I would do as it's been posted on this
>> list before: partition it with my personal favourite, gdisk.
>>
>> But before I started, I would list /dev/disk/ to checkout all the
>> installed disks, and their correspondence with the /dev/sd* or
>> /dev/nvme0n* names. This avoid's mick's problem.
>>
>> I'd then write a GPT-style partition table, and the partitions I
>> wanted, create the EFI partition, and change the names of the other
>> partitions to my requirements. (All my disks are named, and the
>> partition LABELs and PARTLABELs are based on that name.)
>>
>> But I haven't used LVMs, and their users might have a different
>> strategy.
>
> I had some nightmares with LVM back in its younger days, and have
> shied away from it since. But I'd assume its more stable now than it
> was in ext3 days long ago.

I've built my systems with all partitions (except those which, for boot
reasons, inherently cannot be) on LVM on top of mdraid, doing the
partitioning in d-i, for at least a decade now - and I cannot recall
having had a single problem that could trace back to LVM.

(Though that boot-reasons exception can be a bit of a doozy.)

FWIMBW.

--
   The Wanderer