Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Thu 09 Jun 2022 at 15:44:48 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2022 11:04:15 EDT David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > This IS my normal workstation. But I imagine that I could reverse the
> > > path from one of my Dells dedicated to a task. Only one has a comfy
> > > chair though, the one normally running my biggest milling machine,
> > > out in the garage. I'll take my coffee cup out and try this from
> > > there.
> >
> > Unsurprisingly, I use the second most convenient machine to install
> > onto that one. In addition, I lose the benefit of apt-cacher-ng for
> > that particular installation process. If I'm installing a new release,
> > then I save the normal cache's contents, and later import all its .deb
> > files into apt-cacher-ng on my workstation's new installation.
> >
> > One more convenience of installing like this is that you can have the
> > release notes, your own aide-memoires, and other reference documents,
> > open on the same machine while you're running the installer.
> >
> Here is that partitioner menu snapshot, obtained by a network ssh login,
> smunched to 81kb base-64'd. Showing that d-i did not even recognize the
> disk I want to use for this new install.
>
> So how & what do I do to this virgin disk to make the d-i recognize it so
> I can install to it?

Well, you already know what I would do as it's been posted on this
list before: partition it with my personal favourite, gdisk.

But before I started, I would list /dev/disk/ to checkout all the
installed disks, and their correspondence with the /dev/sd* or
/dev/nvme0n* names. This avoid's mick's problem.

I'd then write a GPT-style partition table, and the partitions
I wanted, create the EFI partition, and change the names of
the other partitions to my requirements. (All my disks are named,
and the partition LABELs and PARTLABELs are based on that name.)

But I haven't used LVMs, and their users might have a different
strategy.

Cheers,
David.