Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 04:24:02PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 15:16:16 EDT Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 02:17:08PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > > But I've put another drive in, that I want to install a non efi
> > > system on too.
> > >

> > > Ideas as to how to proceed?
> >
> > Hi Gene,
> >
> > First: get yourself an iso with all the firmware on to start with.
> >

> got that.
>
> > Second: Disconnect all your FTDI and serial leads.
>
> keyboard/mouse, one printer left plugged in.
>
> > Third: Use UEFI - it makes sense at this point.

The reason I say this is that UEFI is gradually becoming more tied in
to things like power management and MBR/legacy BIOS is very definitely
deprecated.

> Can I still mount and use my /home raid10, and 1 or 2 other drives if I
> switch it?

Yes, the UEFI boot will write it's grub-efi record to the disk you specify:
your
/home RAID10 will have a filesystem you can mount. If you want to use the other drives, it would be straightforward to add mount points for them in the
partitioner.

You can add labels for partitions: if I'm feeling lazy, I'll tell the
installer to use the entire disk and autopartitioning to get a basic layout.
If you then
add /home on your RAID, that should work.

> > Fourth: Use the text mode expert install.
>
> I have so far, but powered off to bail out when I couldn't figure out
> what to do next. Before it wrote anything.
>
> > When it comes to using your
> > RAID, single step through the partitioning. Use the partitioner's
> > expert mode to label the partition on your RAID as home and untick the
> > format - that should work.
> >
> > Fifth: Uncheck any desktop environment in tasksel.
> >
> > Sixth: After that point, and only at that point, install TDE
> >
> > Seventh: Reinstate your serial leads one by one - and at that point,
> > sort out your issues with nut, printers and so on.
>
> And printed this for the checklist.
> >
> > Document this step by step: write yourself a tasklist and tick off each
> > small step as it completes.
> >
> > As someone who has done, conservatively, 500 installs - many with the
> > text mode installer - it is not as hard as you seem to make it every
> > single time. But, without knowing at what step you fail and precisely
> > what you see when you do fail - what error messages, what it's telling
> > you and what steps you are thinking of taking BEFORE you take them,
> > I'm at a loss to know.
> The D-I needs to grow the capability to mount an otherwise unused drive,
> and store as png's, snapshots of the screen. That way no one can accuse
> me of copy/paste fibbing. I can also take screen shots but the list
> server, even if I could figure out how to get it out of the camera and
> submit them, would justifiably balk at the 5+ megs a pix that would be.

If you use the GUI installer, there's an option to take screenshots.
They end up in /var/log/installer along with the install log.

I'm fairly sure there's a log of the install in /var/log/installer too.
https://wiki.debian.org/ScreenShots#debian-installer-gui gave me that
information.

> > All the very best, as ever,
> >
> > Andy Cater
>
> Back atcha Andy, take care & stay well.

Take care yourself - I'm feeling a bit flu-ish otherwise I'd single step
through this myself to debug it.

All best, as ever,

Andy Cater